It is our pleasure to invite you to register to CAIA 2022. Please find below some general information on the course. Note that the early bird registration option expires after 30 September! After receipt of your registration fee you will be sent further practical information.
We look forward to welcoming you at Schiermonnikoog.
NIOK Office, on behalf of course coordinators Moniek Tromp and Harry Bitter.
Date : 27 November - 2 December 2022
Venue : Het Dorpshuis, Torenstreek 18a, Schiermonnikoog
Catalysis contributes 20-30% of the gross domestic products of industrialized countries. Catalysts play a vital role in the production of transportation fuels, bulk and fine chemicals in a sustainable way. Many more improvements are expected for the next years.
… a fascinating discipline
NIOK, the Dutch school of research in catalysis, with some 200 PhD students involved in research, offers the opportunity to gain a deeper insight into various aspects of this fascinating discipline: fundamental, theoretical, homogeneous, heterogeneous, industrial catalysis and biocatalysis. The main theme of this course is the molecular approach of catalysis in view of its applications, from catalyst preparation and characterization to reactor engineering.
The course is designed for graduates and polytechnic (HBO) levels, either as a first introduction or as a refresher course. Especially graduates preparing a doctoral dissertation related to catalysis are potential attendants, but also those who are already working in industry and feel the need to deepen their insights into catalytic processes.
Topics to be discussed
- history of catalysis: homogeneous, heterogeneous and biocatalysis
- chemical and technological aspects of a number of important industrial processes. These processes will also form the framework for the subjects to be treated in the fundamental and applied parts of the course.
- chemical kinetics of catalyzed reactions
- -chemical bonding to surfaces, in metalcomplexes and in enzymes
- -elementary reaction steps in catalysis
- -kinetic and mechanistic processes ofcatalysis
To be announced
- catalytic reaction engineering
- preparation of catalyst supports including zeolites
- preparation of supported catalysts
- laboratory and advanced methods, incl. insitu and operando methods
- spectroscopic techniques
- temperature programmed techniques
- adsorption methods
Modern developments seen from two angles:
- from the process technology side: more efficient and cleaner processes
- from the theoretical side: development of fundamental catalysis towards an independent science within chemistry and physics.
Place and time
The course is held on the island Schiermonnikoog. The lectures take place in “Het Dorpshuis”, Torenstreek 18a.
Lodging is in Hotel Van der Werff, Reeweg 2, Schiermonnikoog.
The course starts Sunday 27 November (afternoon arrival) and ends Friday 2 December after lunch.
The textbook will be 'Catalysis, an integrated approach', edited by Prof.dr U. Hanefeld and Prof.dr ir L. Lefferts, with contributions from many experts.
A Certificate of Attendance is available. A Certificate of Proficiency is available for those who successfully pass the assessment. Obtaining the Certificate of Proficiency is one of the requirements that need to be met before NIOK graduates can apply for a NIOK diploma accompanying their doctor’s degree certificate. For the complete set of requirements please contact the NIOK office or ask your supervisor.
Registration before Sept. 30 2022
- Graduate students and postdocs working with NIOK members: € 800
- All other graduate students and postdocs: € 1.100
- All other participants*: € 2.600
Registration after Sept. 30 2022
- Graduate students and postdocs working with NIOK members: € 850
- All other graduate students and postdocs: € 1.200
- All other participants*: € 3.000
*VIRAN members can send one employee of a member company’s own staff at a reduced rate of € 850
The fee includes:
- (full board) accommodation (27 November
- arrival, 2 December departure);
- a copy of the book 'Catalysis, an integrated approach';
- other course materials and hand-outs.
Cancellation fees are applicable:
- cancellation between 30 October –13 November: 50% of the course fee.
- cancellation after 13 November: the full fee will be charged.
Assessment of the NIOK CAIA course will be done based on case studies and a presentation. Throughout the week you will work in groups of 5-6 people on set case studies, i.e. catalysis problems given to you. At the end of the week, the case studies must be presented to the entire group. The case study and presentations will be assessed with pass/fail (and some feedback). For NIOK graduate students it is obligatory to take part and pass, to be able to obtain the NIOK Certificate of Proficiency certificate at the end of your PhD.
Prof.dr. M. Tromp, Groningen University
CAIA 2022Registration website for CAIA 2022
CAIA 2022CAIA 20220.00EUROnlineOnly2019-01-01T00:00:00ZTo be announcedTo be announced