Lab in the Clouds: the cloud as your research environment
Date & time: 2 October 2018, 13:30 - 15:30 - Room: Solar
Dr. Irene Nooren
Dr. Arnoud van der Maas
Are you considering to use cloud solutions in your research? Then, please join this workshop on research cloud computing and services.
Current cloud technology makes it possible to build your own virtual research environment using public or private cloud ICT infrastructure (compute, operating systems) and modular service components (e.g., web services). This offers opportunities to support public and public-private research projects, using publicly available or commercial compute resources.
We will look at strong examples of the use of cloud computing and how cloud services can support virtual research workspaces. A range of aspects will be discussed on the basis of expert input. As these services may become part of the offer of the national ICT research infrastructure, we will also cover the future needs for research cloud services.
We will address questions such as
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of public vs private cloud offerings?
- How can we make sure research services are portable, scaling between heterogeneous compute clusters (local, national, commercial)?
- What are performance requirements and what level of support is needed?
Much of the work to link public clouds has been done in Health-RI Data4Lifesciences WP2/4 and WP7.
- Researchers in data and compute-intensive projects
- Research Software Engineers
- Data and IT specialists of institutes dealing with such projects
- Health-RI-Data4Lifesciences WP2/4, Health-RI data team
DTL Conference 2018Registration website for DTL Conference 2018
DTL Conference 2018DTL Conference 20180.00EUROnlineOnly2019-01-01T00:00:00Z
Media PlazaMedia PlazaJaarbeursplein Netherlands